Thursday, September 16, 2010

With Mike Mearls admitting that 4E sucked, is this WOTC's idea to set up for 5E's success, by blaming 4E?

Dungeons and Dragons Core Rulebook Gift Set, 4th Edition

Well it worked for Obama why not in the RPG business? The Escapist interview with Mike Mearls has sent many a 4E lovers are in a tizzy (That was Geek Related wording of the situation, I would say that have gone completely abused victim in a battered relationship). What can I say to this? Well a bigger, more respectable man would say they did there best and it just didn't work out for them.  But what I say is WOTC is now discovering the important rule number #1 in a social media driven business economic with multiple choices to spend their dollars on: Don't kill the golden goose!

Now I am not going to tell you, I told you so, but I told you so.  Hell I kind told you so here, I definately told you here. What do I say to all of this? Should I gloat? Don't have to. Should I laugh at you over the bad business choices you made? Don't have to. All I have to do is the same thing I have doing from day one: Focus on making my buisness stronger by focusing on my customers needs. The customers didn't NEED 4e, WOTC WANTED 4E and WOTC got what they wanted. Now, they WANT their customers back, to bad those customers don't NEED them. The really sad point is I am sure some people internally who said doing 4E in this way was a bad idea and I'm sure the corporate environment of Hasbro were called "not team players" and were belittled for their views.  Some of those people were let go and downsided over the years and some most likely left.  And now you have Mike Mearls quoted saying, “Look, no one at Wizards ever woke up one day and said ‘Let’s get rid of all of our fans and replace them." That was never the intent.” I am sure is wasn't, but you didn't and now with Paizo in the mix you may NEVER get those people back.  I wonder how Mike's Christmas will be this year form WOTC

Now I guess we will start hearing the mumbling of 5E coming soon? Personally, it doesn't matter to me what happens to WOTC and 5E. It doesn't matter if WOTC and D&D as we know it fails and collapse and since business uphores a vacuum something will relpace it. I play and support Paizo and Pathfinder. One day this might change, as with WOTC, but so far so good.  Talk to you later...