Thursday, June 11, 2009

Paying a $100 a page for RPG artists is stupid, and you’re an idiot if you do it…

Why does this one always keep coming back up? If you know anything about me, it’s that I am a cheap bastard. My wife will tell you that. My brother will tell you that. Even my mom will tell you that. I don’t like paying more than I have to, especially in the arena of business. When I first started doing RPG all kinds of people told me all kinds of silly things about what I should pay artist. “The industry standard is $100 a page for RPG work.” That is complete crap! This is the greatest lie that has been put to RPG publishers by artists since the beginning of time. If you listen to some artist about their artwork too long they will tell you that it does everything including cure cancer so that is why they ask for that rate. Hate to break this to you “artistic” types but you make a “commodity”. A commodity as defined from dictionary.com is:
  1. Something useful that can be turned to commercial or other advantage: "Left-handed, power-hitting third basemen are a rare commodity in the big leagues" (Steve Guiremand).
  2. An article of trade or commerce, especially an agricultural or mining product that can be processed and resold.
  3. Advantage; benefit.
  4. Obsolete A quantity of goods.
And when you make your artwork to sell you are making a commodity. I know a company who paid $500 for a one print time usage right for and image that Brom did. One print run and that is it. What happens if you underprint the product and your product becomes an overnight hit (see WizKids' Pirates of the Spanish Main for that answer)? Sorry, you have to purchase a new cover for it. Think that was crazy? Well they did it two more times!

Any of you RPG publisher who are in need of good and inexpensive artists, just let me know and I will help you get in touch with them. You have seen the guys who do my artwork so you I am dealing with good guys. You don’t have to say it, but you’re welcome!