Friday, June 19, 2009

Warren Ellis is not a great comic book writer and I will tell you why…

I like Warren Ellis’ work. I think he understands what makes a story interesting and what is needed to keep it moving. But the one thing that keeps him back from really being a GREAT comic book writer and that is …

He has the weakest ending for all of his stories.

What do I mean by this? I mean Warren Ellis ends his comic stories horribly. My god! A writer with all that talent, and he couldn’t end a story strong to save his life. I am always amazed when he gets more work from comic book companies. Do they actually read the product he produces? Forget get the persona. Forget the attitude. Forget all the bullshit. Just look at his actual writing skill. Look at the list of work he has done and just ask yourself this little question, “Did this story end with the some power and excitement that is started off with?” The issue that really revealed his inability to end a story strong was Planetary #26. While the concept and idea to create Planetary was excellent and brilliant, the execution of it was not. Global Frequency is another one. Great concepts. All of them innovative and new. How does the series end, like oatmeal bland and boring.

Now I know I am breaking the hearts of many of you out there. Your love affair with Warren Ellis is everything to you in your little world. But let’s get to reality and tell the truth, Warren Ellis is like an OK race horse; great out of the gate and horrible finish. I am sorry I have broken the hearts of some of you. Now I am not saying that Warren Ellis is a bad writer. He always brings innovation to the next level. I am just saying he is a bad closer and like David Mamet said, “Put that coffee down. Coffee is for closers only.” Talk to you later…

2 comments:

  1. I disagree, the endings are generally downbeat, but that doesn't make them bad endings. GF didn't really 'end', each story is self-contained.
    Planetary isn't finished yet.
    The downbeat end is a feature, not a bug. IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is interesting because I am far from a Warren Ellis fanboy but I don't think this is a valid critique.

    Global Frequency is a fair point but Planetary has not ended yet. The final issue isn't out yet.

    His endings on Stormwatch and Authority were both stunning and my favorite of his stuff, Transmet, ended with a damned bang.

    My favorite part of his work for a long while was his ability to tell a solid single issue story that was complete in and of itself but worked well within a larger whole. Stormwatch, some issues of Transmet, even his work on DV8.

    Anyway, there ya go.

    ReplyDelete