Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Cover of Pirates of the Bronze Sky inspired by a Red Star...

When I first started thinking about what I was going to do for the cover of the upcoming Pirates of the Bronze Sky, I went with the same mind set and format I always use to getting ideas with cover.  I went to comic books and with this I knew what comic book I wanted to inspire the image that I would want.  That was The Red Star by Image Comics and Archangel Studios.  The Red Star was created by Chris Gossett of Lucasfilms Ltd fame who I happened to meet years ago at MegaCon and have become "con friends" with him and several of the members of the studio including Snakebite and Paul Schrier of Power Rangers fame over the years. The Red Star was one of the most innovative comic books to come out in the early 2000s.  They did a combination of computer generated images and traditional artwork gave the comic a very unique look.  In addition, the look of the comic was that of what many have considered to be similar to Bryan Hitch's widescreen look of the Authority and The Ultimates comics.  

With the Pirates of the Bronze Sky cover, I am going to attempt to do computer generated images with hand drawn artwork.  I can't seem to remember or know of anyone who has done this with an RPG cover.  I might be mistaken but I can think of anyone. This is going to be a very interesting mix and will give the book a very unique look to the setting.  I like to do thinks artistically that many people are not doing and try things to have a very uniques look.  It is one of the things my company is known for and I want to keep pushing the boundaries of that.  Who will be doing the artwork?  Well due to my relationship with him, I expect Ean Moody to be the artist who will handle the computer generated artwork and I would like Alex G who did the majority of the artwork on Obsidian Twilight.  So no matter what, Pirates of the Bronze Sky is going to look slick.  Start saving your money.  Talk to you later...

2 comments:

  1. I think the Halls of the Mountain King by Open Design used combination artwork-- for the covers of both editions, but then I'm not sure if that's how Malcolm McClinton rolls or not. I think it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds awesome. I've been a fan of The Red Star for a while and the idea using something similar for the cover of an RPG product is definitely interesting.

    ReplyDelete