Monday, October 27, 2008

Obsidain Twilight: The graphic design...

I started the work on building what the graphic design of Obsidian Twilight would look like in its final book and PDF format. I have be a graphic designer for 15+ years and this in one of my favorite parts of design. Anyone who looks at a LPJ Design book, knows on sight that it is a LPJ Designed book. There are a lot of thought that goes in on designing something not only to "look pretty" but to envoke a particular emotion. For me, I want Obsidian Twilight to live up tothe two words I have been using to describe it, horror and survival. It is that simple. So here is the first draft of the logo. Nothing super spectacular, but a nice logo. Simple, easy, looks good in color and black & white, and you can read it easily. You would be surprised how many beginning graphic designers make looks that look great, but you can not read what it says or is hard to read. My favorite logo mistake for this is what GMS did with his book Underworld. Leave professional work to professionals. For me, this logo is in a good starting place. From here, who knows?

1 comment:

  1. If the setting is more sci fi I would think its pretty slick. I get the feeling this is a dark gritty dirty, befouled world of unholy magics and unholier denizens. Something dark, with a sunset theme where the sun is very sickly, and maybe letter that seemed to be roughly hewn from obisian may work.

    ReplyDelete