Wednesday, December 7, 2011

What I thought was a niche, wasn't really a niche...

I was talking to Steve over at Rite Publishing about the whole Kickstarter concept basically trying to figure out what I have done wrong in the past to not get the kind of response I was looking for with my Kickstarter projects.  In the middle of the conversiation he said something to me that was shocking and a little surprising, at least to me. I was taking about the attempt I had made at Kickstarter with Obsidian Twilight and I thought it was in the perfect niche to get funded. Steve said something that kind of took me back about Obsidian Twilight:

Me: I "thought" I had passion of Obsidian Twilight and it was niche enough, but that didn't do well. On kickstarter at least.

Steve: No to me. It was not niche. It took two mainstream ideas and put them together and Pathfinder to me is mainstream. Its also about catching the attention of the social networks and everything else.


What? Did Steve just say Obsidian Twilight was mainstream and NOT niche? WHAT? This comment shook me to my core. I never thought of Obsidian Twilight as mainstream, let alone thinking about Pathfinder as mainstream. They are both niche right? Wrong. They ARE mainstream. Now A Place Beyond Hell (our Post Apocalyptic Fantasy Cthulhu Survival Horror sourcebook for Pathfinder) is a REAL niche.  After this little talk with Steve, I might have to rethink what I would consider niche is.  Maybe more focus, a more narrow of a view is what I need. Kind of like from spotlight to flashlight now to a laser.  Always more focused, always more intensity.  Maybe one day we will go back a re-Kickstart Obsidian Twilight to add on all the stuff we wanted to and make it ever crazier than we did.  Make it more focused and ramp up the intensity.  Just somehting to think abotu the next time you are working on a project, is this niche enough?  Talk to you later...

1 comment:

  1. Let me be clear here I am talking about Mainstream for Tabletop Roleplaying Game.

    ReplyDelete