Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Letting people do what they do best AKA why JP does well with NeoExodus...

JP Chapleau and I talk on Skype and Facebook a lot. I mean, A FREAKING LOT! When it comes to NeoExodus we talk about just about every day on every little detail on of the setting from the creative side AND on the business side. Last night we were talking about the mind set of the P'Tan and when he was running games may of the players did not trust them due to their long "relationship" with the First Ones. Many of the players had the concept that the P'Tan at best were "sketchy". I then informed JP that my mind set for creating the P'Tans was based off of America's history of slavery. To me the concept of the field hand salve (the escaped P'Tan) who all he wanted to do it escape and be free versus the house negro (enslaved P'Tan) who even though their life was crap, it was better than taking a chance to escape and risk being caught, tortured and killed violently in the end was the basis for them. And with that little additional information, a little light went on in JP and I could see that he understood them even better meaning he would write them even better.

While I always dreamt about becoming a "well known" author (I know my grammar sucks, so like I said it's a dream), I know my true skill lie in coming up with interesting ideas and getting other people interested, passionate and involved in what I am doing. Then we translate that passion down on paper (or digitally) so other can enjoy it.  That is why I enjoy working with JP. He is PASSIONATE about NeoExodus is the same way I am about NeoExodus.  He gets what I wanted to do in the setting. Better yet. he can translate the craziest of ideas that I send him (and there are many) every day and make sense why they should and shouldn't work in some cases.  JP has a great grasp on what people players like game-wise and game mechanics. It's somewhat of an insane mixture of technical and creative ability and not everyone can do it, and not everyone can do it very well.  That is why I let JP do what he does best.

Also last night, we started talking about the free adventure we are going to do for Free RPG Day.   The biggest issue about this whole Kickstarter project was not only how to make it really successful (which is important) but to showcase the world of NeoExodus to give people a great sampling of the world and what makes it different for what Paizo is doing with Golarion (which to me is MORE important). While just reading the Campaign Book you will see that that NeoExodus is different, it isn't until you play our adventures in NeoExodus that the real power and strength of the setting comes through. Giving people an free opportunity to do that will only expose people to what I already know, NeoExodus isn't just the best setting for Pathfinder, IT IS the best setting on the gaming market today.  This isn't me being cocky, it's me being honest about this product and knowing what we have build here.  So this Kickstarter project we are planning is even more emotional for us because it gives us the opportunity to spread the word of NeoExodus to those looking for that something different.  As always thank for your support of LPJ Design and everything we are trying to do here.  Talk to you later...

No comments:

Post a Comment