Thursday, April 2, 2009

If you think Monte Cook's Dungeonaday.com is a smart buisness idea, then figure this out...

So I have an idea, and I want to hear what some people think about this. Please understand this is just an exercise in business thinking, NOT A I HATE MONTE RANT. Personally, I like Monte a lot and he has done a lot of great stuff for the acceptance of PDFs into the larger RPG market. So lets not start that crap. So here we go:

Dungeonaday.com has created an impressive little niche for itself in the RPG industry of recent and to be a forward thinking good business man, I do little exercises to "keep fressh" and on the cuttign edge of business and marketing. So I came up with this little idea and I wanted to see what other people might think and to get their opinions.

Here goes: I believe Dungeonaday.com works so well because the concept of Monte Cook writing it. Monte has a lot of fans and could build up a solid following doing this. This was a great idea to generate money for a business (Hell it is so good, I wish I though of it.)

BUT.....................

What if some one else did the same thing as Dungeonaday.com but did it FOR FREE and used banner ads or RPGNow Affiliate store to generate money like EN World? What if it was a Freemium site? What of effect would this have on a site like Dungeonaday.com? Now, here is a interesting twist to this: What if Paizo used this format to do their Pathfinder Society program? How would that change "Living Campaign" business? Talk to you later...

1 comment:

  1. I still find it hard to imagine anyone who can afford the membership having time to play D&D that much. Obviously you don't play everything you buy, but something new every day?

    Although, free often means inferior...

    ReplyDelete