Thursday, April 30, 2009

Eberron plus Spelljammers equals…

I mentioned this in a Twitter post so I thought I might talk about it here. I have been mashing up ideas, genres and setting of late. Just a little exercise that I have come to do that helps me strengthen my creative muscles. So I thought it might be cool if you see the latest mash-up collection I have put together:

Eberron + Spelljammer = Pirates of the Bronze Sky

Straying from the “standard' Western European flavor used in many other OGL settings Pirates of the Bronze Sky takes place in a setting based in "Bronze Sky", a fantasy version of a world of pulp action and fantasy noir, where the inhabitants make extensive use of magic in place of technology to create special flying sailing ships. Fantasy versions of zeppelin, sky pirates, airships, and even mechanical men called Bronze Men are common in place of traditional knights in shining armor.

Thank you Wikipedia.com. What would I do without you? Pulp, pirates, danger and flying ships. The quintessential definition of what is classic cool. Talk to you later…

5 comments:

  1. Is this something that we are going to see in print?

    Regards,
    Walt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. Maybe? Possible setting for my Pathfinder® Roleplaying Game Compatibility License product. Maybe if there is enough interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! Not a fan of this concept as is. I think you missed the mashed. Spelljammer Good + Eberron ( not good ).

    Now think this

    Spelljammer + Birthright! Drool. Double Drool!

    Gods descend - battle - die - take most of the known worlds and peoples with them. A few there survive imbued with powers who and become demi gods. Other become highly imbued with magical powers and the abilities that make the fit to rule expanding galactice empires. Some are good some evil and some are twisted by evil magical energies that they become monsters. The game plays out as a RPG, a 4x star game and a minis combat game. WOW! I can see battle maps, paper minautre space fleets of a 1000 sorts, tons of source books/ race books / class books. Drool.

    Hollow World + Red Steel + Speljammer

    Dyson Sphere + Rare Metal with Hyper magical properites everyone fights over and they fly through space - Space 1999 style.

    Metamorphosis Alpha + Paranoia sounds like Red Dwarf :)

    I would like to see a spin on Warmachine/Iron Kingdoms that was a RPG/tactical game. But using paper armies. Deep deep world history and setting, with a strategy combat game that blends into the RP almost seemlessly - something akin to DP9 Heavy Gear.

    Could this be Fantasy mechs done right?!?!?

    Dragonmech = failed on many levels
    DP9 - never did fantasy mechs as a setting. Though Gear Krieg is neat.
    Privateer Press = minis = $$$$$$$ = great games 2 sets of rules = more $$$$$$ and they do not mesh as well.

    FANTASY MECHA - drool

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds cool to me, I like Eberron but a more open pulpy world could be a lot of fun. Plus, Zepplins! Who doesn't love Zepplins?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steampunk FTW!

    Steampunk rules....Could be done pretty well in Pathfinder! There is lots of OGL steampunk stuff out there, but I'd be seriously interested in another.

    ReplyDelete