Friday, March 13, 2009

When good ideas hit a bad economy...

Sometime I have really cool ideas that never make it out of the development stages. There are several reasons why that may happen. The economy. Freelancer work schedule. Whatever. This is one of those ideas that never made it out of the development stages. Insurrection: The Rise of the Phoenix Guard was an idea that came out of Monte Cook’s Event books series like When the Sky Falls or Anger of Angels. Monte built these sourcebooks to tell particular events that might happen in a game setting. I liked this idea but I wondered why he never covered the political side of it. And with that the initial concept of Insurrection was created. I built is as kind of a Sidetrek Adventure Weekly / Sourcebook combo. But I never really liked the format that Sidetrek Adventure Weekly was presented. Basically as a publisher I had to put all the upfront product money BEFORE they came out. This can be risky. And After what I saw with Sidetrek Adventure Weekly 2, I wanted to find a different way to release the series as a whole. But nothing really came up. So I placed Insurrection is the back files and continued on with other projects…

That was until I read about Monte Cook’s Dungeon A Day website. I see it as a great way to do Insurrection the way I would like to. Plus there is some “safety protocols” set it in the way of doing it that way. So it looks like Insurrection might be coming back...someday. Talk to you later…

1 comment:

  1. I love the NeoExodus setting. Sourcebooks were great and gave me something to read on downtime in Iraq. The visual style of the setting as told through the art was always awesome.

    Keep us informed if this comes out.
    Regards,
    Walt

    ReplyDelete