Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Obsidian Twilight: Outline

When working on any RPG setting from the ground up I use a simple ouline to help with the basic "skeleton" and framework. Once I know what is in my outline, I build the world from there. Here is the standard outline I always start with:

1. Introduction

  • Overview of the setting
  • How to play in the setting

2. History of the Setting

  • 20 years ago
  • 10 years ago
  • 5 years ago
  • 1 year ago
  • Now

3. PC Materials

  • Epic Items
  • Feats
  • Prestige Classes
  • Races
  • Skills
  • Spells
  • Wondrous Items

4. GM Materials

  • Environment
  • New Rules
  • Special Situations

5. NPCs

  • Major NPCs
  • Minor NPCs

6. Adventures

  • Adventure Plot
  • Sidetrek Adventure
  • Complete Adventure

7. Extras

  • Character Sheets
  • Initiative Cards
  • Tokens

Talk to you later...

3 comments:

  1. If I might make a suggestion, you may want to add at the very beginning something along the lines of why I would want to play in the setting.

    A few paragraphs of the cool bits, the style of play the setting is oriented towards and why the setting is so bloody awesome. A few simple sentences of adventure hooks that could be simple, one-night adventures or the seeds of long campaigns.

    A fast, right up front bite to anyone browsing the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the most complete gaming outline I have seen. Major Kudos...
    Regards,
    Walt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Daryl! Normally in the Overview of the setting is where we place something like that.

    ReplyDelete