Saturday, January 26, 2013

New race idea for NeoExodus...

Since NeoExodus: A House Divided has the Machinesmith class, should we have a construct based race for the setting? I know many of you are think the Android from the Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Bestiary but I don't want to do something that is "so" sci-fi sounding, I mean this is a fantasy setting and there is a difference. Visually, I have a cool idea of what the race might look like (inspired from Warrhammer 40K Necrons) but building it to fit in a 10 RP build from the Advanced Race Guide is becoming an issue.  So I am opening it up to the fan base, what do you think about a construct race for NeoExodus? Tell us what you think! Talk to you later...

3 comments:

  1. Construct-races currently available for PFRPG:

    Rite Publishing: Ironborn
    Storm Bunny Studios: Automata
    Necromancers of the Northwest: Fabricants
    Kobold Press: Gearforged

    From nearly no to all construct immunities, these already cover A LOT of ground. Not sure whether adding a fifth construct race is a good decision there.

    Just my 2 cents! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. End: Looking at the artificer class, for example, many people had done that also and most people thought no one could get it “right”. I think with our Machinesmith we proved that it could be done “RIGHT” with the involvement of the fan base of Pathfinder. The first issue that I see with a construct race is all the immunities and how it affects low level game play. In addition a construct race must be balanced against the other “normal” races.

    I think by taking a deconstructive point of view with the creation of this race; I might be able to come up with something that we have not seen before and works very well in any fantasy setting, not just NeoExodus. Personally I think people are trying too hard to make it “robots in fantasy”, and I don’t want that. The best comic book analogy I can make with this is most 3PP have made a construct race based off of Marvel Comics’ Ultron, Machine Man or Jocasta - very much the A-typical robot. I am looking to make our construct based off of the Marvel Comics’ Vision or even the updated Cyclons from Battlestar Galatica – very much a “synthetic” life form. If you look at the Advanced Race Guide, you can see that there are stats and point cost for bot a half-construct and half-undead. I wonder what kind of interesting race I can build if I starter there? Once again, thank for the interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great idea for NeoExodus and am quite interested in seeing what you work up!

    ReplyDelete