Monday, December 17, 2012

The gatekeepers to 3PP of Pathfinder

I was reading this thread on Paizo and it got me kind of interested on seeing how many copies that said they were going to release product for Pathfinder but didn’t. I personally became interested and went over to the Compatibility License Registry to see how many people said they were going to start a 3PP for Pathfinder and did. Better yet how many were still in business.

I got 10% through the list and I stopped. 

I was kind of a wast of time because SO MANY people signed up but released only one product and ever worst most released nothing.  If you head over to RPGNow.com and select Rule System Pathfinder, here is the list of companies that came up for me:

As you can see 15 companies that RPGNow.com feels are the most important / influential in the area of Pathfinder products.  I find this very interesting in the concept of gatekeepers.  To make it on to the list of 15 publishers you have to work very hard to keep producing product on a regular basis that fans are interested in.  But the really interesting part is the number of people who WANT to or PLANNED to create something for Pathfinder. Many of these people/companies produced nothing. While even fewer produced just one product and decided for some reason not to do more.  When you think about it on a small scale all you need to do is do as much work and the “number 15” on the list and you could release them on that list.  I mean that it isn’t really that difficult.  Fifteen others are doing it, so why can’t you. So why don’t you or better yet, why haven’t you? Talk to you later…

5 comments:

  1. Well, Dreamscarred Press isn't on that list, yet we have produced a bunch of products for Pathfinder, and arguably a pretty successful Core Psionics Book in Psionics Unleashed.

    So, I'm not so sure whether RPGNows list is all that authorative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Dreascarred Press SHOULD be on that list. I was amazed that certain companies did make that list on RPGNow.com. The next question has to be, "Why did hose 15 companies come up?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adamant isn't on the list either, despite producing the first 3PP for Pathfinder, and several other releases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In general I find that they promote the companies with the most sales in a given period (like 45 days) - so for us who sell "bigger" books it means fewer sales compared to someone doing .99$ PDFs like SGG - atleast that has been my experience with OBS in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I expect because Adamant Entertainment has not released anything new for pathfinder since September 2011 (item cards deck of swords) it should not expect to be on the list, while Dreamscarred press has released roughly a product a month my expectation is that it was on the tail end of the 15. (probably would have been #16)

    ReplyDelete