Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The 10 Crack commandments…for RPG Business

One of my all time favorite rapper was Notorious B.I.G. He had a great sound for urban / street rap for the mid-1990s. Off his quadruple platinum (4 million plus) selling album, Ready to Die, there was a music track that really touched me as a business man. That track was the 10 Crack commandments. Basically put the track was an “instruction book” if you wanted to get into the drug scene. While I was not getting into the drug scene I did find it did have some good ideas that you could use in business. Let take these commandments one by one in the lyrics from the track:

Rule Nombre Uno: Never let no one know how much, dough you hold, cause you know. The cheddar breed jealousy 'specially if that man f------ up, get your @$$ stuck up.
Oh yes, I believe this one VERY well. I know this from specific RPG publishers who at one point call me a friend and then went after me to destroy my company behind the scenes.

Number Two: Never let em know your next move Don't you know. Bad Boys move in silence or violence. Take it from your highness I done squeezed mad clips at these cats for they bricks and chips.
Surprise is the best way to go after someone or something. If you don’t think so you might want to read about the Trojan Horse or the attack on Pearl Harbor by the Empire of Japan.

Number Three: Never trust no-body. Your moms'll set that ass up, properly gassed up. Hoodie to mask up, shit, for that fast buck she be layin in the bushes to light that ass up.
This is a little more factual for those in the drug game; but in the arena of business, be careful who you do trust. That could come back to come bite you in the @$$!

Number Four: know you heard this before Never get high, on your own supply.
Another drug scene focused rule but remember to not think you have the greatest stuff out there no matter what. There is always someone out there who is doing something better than you. Learn and remember that.

Number Five: never sell no crack where you rest at. I don't care if they want a ounce, tell em bounce.
Drug focused so we can skip it. But always carry a flash drive with a few of your product that you can give or email someone for free.

Number Six: that god damn credit, dead it. You think a crackhead payin you back, s--- forget it
I have learned this one the hard way. That is why I no longer deal with companies like Studio 2 Publishing or Osseum when dealing with distribution of bookshelf products. Learn how to do that kind of thing yourself it will be better for you in the long run and you never have to worry if they run off with your money. Ask Green Ronin about this with Osseum.

Seven: this rule is so underrated Keep your family and business completely separated. Money and blood don't mix like two d---- and no b----. Find yourself in serious s---.
This rule is my wife’s rule. Keep the business life and real life away from each other especially in its separate room in the house you life in with your girlfriend or wife. It is OK if one room looks like a crappy game store. But no woman is going to stay with you if the entire house looks like that.

Number Eight: never keep no weight on you. Them cats that squeeze your guns can hold jobs too.
Number Nine shoulda been number one to me If you ain't gettin bags stay the f--- from police. If n----- think you snitchin ain't tryin listen. They be sittin in your kitchen, waitin to start hittin.
Number 8 and 9 are really for the drug trade. But remember, nobody likes a snitch.

Number Ten: a strong word called consignment. Strictly for live men, not for freshmen. If you ain't got the clientele say hell no. Cause they gon want they money rain sleet hail snow.
This one is used by me when people sell my products under their company name. I only deal with people who I know can help me make sales and in turn money. If someone comes to you asking if they can sell your product at their site make sure they are legit and can actually help you make additional sales. YourGamesNow.com tried this and failed; Paizo did this and became a nice additional source of revenue for me.

Who said you couldn’t learn anything important listen to rap music. Talk to you later...

No comments:

Post a Comment