Thursday, November 6, 2008

No money? Can't pay? Wrong answer.

With this thread on on EnWorld, I thought I might but my 2 cents it. Times are tough for all RPG publishers. My sales are off, not anywhere as bad as Gareth, but they are off. Right now, I owe at least 10 to 15 people money, including my accountant. But with all that said, the majority of them will be getting paid by the end of the year. The reason it is simple, I owe them the money, they worked hard for it and IT'S THEIR MONEY!!! This will be the first time in 5 years that I will use some of my actual money (AKA my work paycheck) and company money to pay people. As a publisher, the one thing that I know for a fact is the people who work for me ACTUALLY like working for me. I never want to abuse that trust by not paying them.

Here is a little business advice for you starting off in the RPG publishing game, pay people as soon as you can. If you can pay them two seconds after they turn in their final completed work, pay them then. The sooner the better. This will build MASSIVE credibility with those who deal you. So when you have to come late with a payment, the people are very forgiving and understand. Things happen and people understand that. Just treat people like you would treat someone you love and you should be OK. Talk to you later...

1 comment: