Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sometimes it drive me crazy when I know I am right and people think I'm crazy and then someone "respected in the industry" says the virtually exact same thing...

OK I said this: I thought the purpose was to get NEW players for the new D & D red box?!?!??! back in October 2010 and now look at the comments I received.  Now today I read this from Ryan Dancy's new column at EN WorldHere is the direct link to the whole statement but here is the important part:

Second, I have no clue what Wizards thinks it is doing with the "red box". The Intro product for D&D has one, and only one purpose: To introduce 12-14 year old kids to the roleplaying hobby and start them on the path to become purchasers of the core books. That product must be designed to sell in mass market stores where it can get the widest possible distribution outside of the hobby core (where you can safely assume that gamers are teaching gamers without the need of a special product to do it). It must be priced correctly vs. the other games it is shelved with, and it must be packaged and presented in a way that a mother would be comfortable buying as a gift for the son or daughter of a friend.

The "red box" looks like a nostalgia product designed to be sold to 40 year-olds who want to relive a moment of their childhoods. I don't get the art or the font - neither will appeal to either kids or moms in CE2011. It doesn't look like any other products in the 4E line so how will people know that it connects? Doesn't even matter what's inside the box - this is one of those things that has to sell on its presentation on the shelf.


Well I guess it is good to know that once and a while I might actually know what I am doing here at this blog and running my company.  Now I just need for Hasbro to buy me out and give me a big check.  Talk to you later...