Friday, May 29, 2009

Should the Obsidian Twilight RPG be 100% OGL/D20 Open Content?

While working on Obsidian Twilight recently I have had in the back of my mind, “Why don’t I make this 100% completely OGL/D20 Open Content?” For some reason it keeps popping back in the front of my mind over and over. When I first created Obsidian Twilight I wanted it to be a LPJ Design project with some open content. But now, the more I think about it I think it might be better to make it completely 100% completely OGL/D20 Open Content. I like the concept of doing Obsidian Twilight as a one-off campaign setting RPG, but I really don’t want to build and support it as a completely new product line. That would take up a lot of time that I really don’t have. Plus, I am sure there are a lot of Ravenloft and Dark Sun fans would love to have a D20 / OGL setting readily available so they could place their material into and even better sell products for it. If you have an opinion on this either for or against, comment directly to this post. Thanks for all your help! Talk to you later…

3 comments:

  1. Sure, why not? You've already listed why you would. Is there any reason not too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think for campaign settings. Mostly open with a compatibility license is a really good way to go.

    Rite Publishing is able to support Arcana Evolved.
    I think a number of publishers will support Pathfinder under this model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent idea... and Mark's suggestion about compatibility is cool too. That way you don't have OGL d20 style products on one side, true20 on the other, and yet 4e on the other. It all looks like the same animal...

    Regards,
    Walt

    ReplyDelete