Saturday, March 7, 2009

OK, now let's talk about MegaCon...

Well this MegaCon was a good / bad con. The wife and I went up on Saturday, and got there just in time for the writer's seminar of "How to write for comic companies". The panel consisted of Mark Waid, Tony Bedard, Barbara Kesel, Ron Marz, Chuck Dixon, and Chris Claremont. Basically, the first thing that come out of their collective mouths is, it is impossible to become a comic book writer no matter what you do. And they continue this theme for the next hour. To make is sound even worst, they also inform us that Marvel Comics, like DC Comics, will no longer be accepting "outisde" (AKA unknown writer) pitches any longer. So the process that discovered several of the most popular writers in the industry of all times, like Jim Shooter, will no longer be available. And from there, it just got worst. So my million to one shot of writing comics, has gone to a trillion to one. WOW! Welcome to the suck.

But I did have good coversations with Chuck Dixon and Tony Bedard. And Ron Marz was kind enough to RIP APART one of my scripts (my bottom still hurts). So all in all, it was a good / bad trip. Well, there is always next year. Talk to you later...

1 comment:

  1. I am wondering in this age of the internet, if one could become a successful writer online. There are plenty of popular webcomics, though I feel it is a far cry from traditional comic format.

    Assuming the writer could find a decent artist, I think there is a lot of possibility. And if you made a name for yourself, Marvel or DC might even approach you. Besides, isn't the printed market in its death-throws? I haven't researched it much...

    ReplyDelete