Thursday, January 31, 2008

Supporting Retail Stores: Why should I?

As of late on many RPG retail business website like the G.I.N. (If you don't know that the G.I.N. is then most likely you are not a retailer) many stores owners in fear of the WOTC 4e glut have decided to carry only WOTC 4e material and no 3rd party (i.e anyone else) publishers of 4e. So with said by many retailers on the whole 4e question, I have to wonder....

Why should I support retailer stores if they are not looking to support my RPG business?

As a PDF publisher I was alway looked down by retail stores, since we were not "real publishers", but now that EVERYONE does PDF products there seems to be some "hostile" feeling by store owers on the 3rd party / indy game publisher. And now with 4e this seems to be the straw that broke the camel back for them.

But then I realized something. What do I care what happens to retail stores? I don't sell in retail stores. I sell direct to my customer. My customer don't hear about my game in retail stores, they hear about them online. People can purchase my products ANY TIME THEY WANT not only when the store is open and best of all people can purchase products from me any way they want (PDF or "dead tree"). So if I am not looking to support retail store, who would I support? Talk to you later...

No comments:

Post a Comment