Monday, December 26, 2011

Would you pay more for a magazine if it didn’t have ads it it?


Just reading an article today, RPG Magazines – Essential orOutdated? and it got me thinking, would I pay more for a magazine that offered no ads, but more content versus and standard magazine with basic content and ads?  I am a subscriber to many magazines including Inc and I have noticed that the ad content has been slowly creeping up in number.  So I have to wonder to offset the cost of color printing, which can be high, would I pay more for better content.  Now in my head, I say YES, but would I really pay for it?  People complain when they have to pay 1 cent more for things, so I could guess this might have some weird backlash. Are you willing to pay more for good content? Better yet, are you willing to pay less for OK content?  What do you think?  Talk to you later… 

2 comments:

  1. Now, this is just one person's opinion, but I actually enjoy ads in magazines, nerdy magazines specifically (of which there are fewer and fewer everyday). Without them, I know less about what is going on in the field of my interest, and have made many purchases because of ads, just because I knew a product existed (I believe this same opinion was voiced in your linked-to article). I also miss the days of purchasing a Dungeon or Dragon magazine for less than $10, and wish Paizo's APs would have ads to bring down the cost.

    So, I guess no, no I wouldn't pay more, I would actually look forward to ads in a gamer magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The targeted nature of ad to reader is at its best in Magazines. Magazines by their very nature connect to a very specific reading demographic. At least long term successful ones do. I love seeing ads of products that touch upon roleplaying games. I've even bought product based on advertising. So, I say keep the faucet on and target me with products of value to me.

    ReplyDelete