Monday, July 5, 2010

The Difference Between Sales and Fans by A Newbie's Guide to Publishing

I saw this post The Difference Between Sales and Fans at the incredibly interesting website of A Newbie's Guide to Publishing. I have been a follower of the mantra keep PDF pricing low, but this article got me thinking about a lot of things I do in business with LPJ Design.  Most importantly this article (and Tony Hsieh of Zappos.com new book Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose) got me thinking of opening my mind up in other types of strategies in business.  and this was the section that really did it for me when reading:


There's a difference between making sales and gaining fans. It's tough to differentiate between the two, and there is some overlap, but I'd break it down like this: People who buy your work may become readers. Readers who like your work will probably become fans. Of the two (buyers and fans) you want to have fans. Fans are willing to pay more. Fans buy everything you write. Fans write reviews. Fans talk about you. Fans get really excited when you have a new release.


That is the central focus that we as RPG companies and developers are working from.  We are doing everything to make fans in this business. Fred Hicks has this down perfect and I will admit I am a little jealous of him. But if I always remember to service my fans needs and wants, I will do OK.  Talk to you later...

No comments:

Post a Comment