Thursday, August 6, 2009

Storage space comes full circle ... on computers...

In 1994, I bought an Iomega Zip Drive that would hold 150 megs for $150. Which is $1 per megabyte. In 2009, I plan to buy an Iomega External Hard Drive that would hold 1.5 Terabytes megs for $150. Which is $1 per 10 gigabytes or 1 cent per 100 megabytes or 1/100th of a cent per megabyte.

If you follow this formula by 2024 you will have 2.25 exabyte hard drives for $150. Data on Star Trek was built with an ultimate storage capacity of 100 petabytes. One exabyte is 1,000 petabytes. I wonder if that will be "infinite storage"? Talk to you later...

2 comments:

  1. http://bit.ly/7rsgb
    Check that pic out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things that freak me out: The micro SD card in my phone is so tiny that I'm afraid to drop it because I won't be able to find it, but it holds more than my first 6 hard drives combined. The 16G thumb drive on my keychain is almost as big as the hard drive in laptops my kids are still using. I throw around 4 to 8 gig files now without even thinking that each file is bigger than some hard drives I have sitting around for keeping old junkers running.

    ReplyDelete