Friday, January 11, 2008

Hardest part of my job....

The hardest part of my job as a PDF RPG Publisher is NOT finding writers (Hell there are a million of those), but finding artists. Artists are much harder to find than any thing else. The reason being that bad artists will want to work for you, though you really don't want them too. Good artists, who you want to work with are normally overburdened with work from other people. So when you find an artist, it is tough to keep them, because everyone in this business is "poaching" other people's artist. No one wants to spend the time looking for new artist.

I will normally look through 100 to 150 art portfolios until I find someone I like and think would work out. Now for each 10 of these artists I find I want to work with, 8 to 9 of them will flake out on a job and not deliever they work. So for you who are good at math, I need to look at roughly 1,000 to 1,500 portilos to get one good artist who works and delievers work on time. That is why I protect my artists so much from letting other people work with them. Well, I have 300 more portfolios to look at. Wish me luck. Talk to you later...

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, thanks for downplaying your writers. That'll win their hearts over. Let's see you write a product that contains some original material, let alone function as their own editors because you are too damned cheap to hire one.

    ReplyDelete